Kyoto has a strong image as a tourist city, but actually it is one of Japan’s leading manufacturing cities, with the long history of traditional industries that have been inherited over the years. There are located many leading global companies such as Kyocera, Shimadzu, Murata, Nintendo, and so on.
Starting with Kyoto University, which has many Nobel Prize winner professors, there are the most advanced academic research institutes such as AI, IoT, and life sciences concentrated in Kyoto. It has an environment which constantly produces innovative companies.
Last year, Plug and Play, global accelerator/VC, established an office in Kyoto and operates acceleration program in Kyoto. Ecosystem in Kyoto is rapidly developing. Of course, you can enjoy a living environment wrapped in the essence of Japanese culture in Kyoto.
Startup Capital Kyoto, an initiative to promote overseas startups business in Kyoto, in cooperation with Latitude 59, will organize online Startup Pitch Contest for Kyoto on October 28, 2020.
October 28, 2020
● Selected startups among applicants will make a pitch in front of experts (VCs, accelerators) and companies from Kyoto via online.
● Winners of the pitch contest (2-3 companies) will be invited to Kyoto, Japan in 2021. Flight ticket to Kyoto (economy, return) and accommodation in Kyoto (4-5 nights) will be provided. We will provide opportunities for pitch events, B2B matching, and company visits in Kyoto.
● In starting business in Kyoto, you will be provided with co-working space for one year for free. We can provide subsidies for company registration fees, office rent as well as first consultation service by judicial scriveners, tax accountants, social insurance labor consultant, and so on. Also, you can apply for startup visa.
For more information on start-up visa program in Kyoto ”Startup Capital Kyoto”,
please refer to the following:https://www.kyoto-obc.jp/en/kigyoushien/
For information on ecosystem in Kyoto, please refer to the following brochure:
● August 27, 2020 Application starts (the first day of Latitude 59)
● September 30, 2020 Application deadline
● October 5, 2020 Announcement of selected startups
● October 28, 2020 Pitch Contest (Online)
There is no restriction on the fields of targeted start-ups and entrepreneurs. The assessment will be based on 1) whether the start-up can contribute to solving issues Kyoto is facing (such as tourism, mobility, agriculture, education, healthcare, industry or any other issues), and 2) whether there is probability of establishment of its business in Kyoto.
How to apply to the contest:
Application can be made via online: